It gives me immense pleasure to write to you as President of this august body, the Poona Ophthalmological Society (POS). For those who missed the AGM, I would like to share herewith my plans and ideas (Academic and Non-academic) for the society for the year 2012-2013.
Academic: I am conscious of high standards of academic and clinical meetings set by our Past Presidents and I shall try to live up to their expectations. Besides the 5 annual conference of our society to be held on 22 and 23rd Dec. 2012, series of Symposia, CME’s on topics of interest have been planned over the year. Whenever possible, live surgery will be demonstrated. Video presentations amongst the members will be encouraged. My scientific committee members Dr. Sameer Datar and Dr. Ramesh Murthy under the leadership of Dr. Udayan Dixit will ensure that the clinical programs are of high standards.
Non-academic: I would like to add some spice to the life of our members by arranging programs, outings and events where members of our society and their families can interact with each other in an informal and relaxed way. Our colleagues should become our family friends and not just professional acquaintances. The various activities that I would like to hold are as under:
1. POS Annual Social Gathering: I propose this to be an all day separate event (preferably
not clubbed with any conference) like our college days annual gathering, in which the latent talents of our members and their kith is brought forward on the POS platform. Many of us have been actively involved in various extracurricular activities in their college days which I plan to rejuvenate through this event. Anyone willing to participate under any performing and nonperforming art, such as painting, singing, dancing, drama etc. start preparing. Dr. Vaijayanti Gadre, has kindly consented to take up the responsibility of this event and will soon get in touch with you with more details. I need you feedback and suggestions as to how should I conduct this event to make it a great success.
2. POS Cycling Club: Health is wealth and hence I urge our members to undertake this
aerobic activity. I want at least 15 members to accompany me on cycle to our MOSCON 2012 Mahabaleshwar. Get your old cycles out and start practicing. You must invest in a good cycle ranging from 10-20K. Believe me it’s worth it. (I have no financial interest in any cycling company). Those interested in cycling please let me know and I shall keep you posted about various events. Dr. Sameer Datar and Dr. Babab Dolas are entrusted to handle this activity.
3. POS Annual Sports Meet: I propose to conduct annual meet of various indoor and outdoor sports disciplines such as badminton, carom, table tennis, chess, Cycling, Sinhagad climbing, walking etc. I believe if our members are given a target they will practice for the event. Dr. Sanjay Patil has kindly accepted to take care of this event. He has handled successfully the annual sport meet of Pune IMA.
4. Dandiya / Garba Dance: Ladies and gents start preparing now. I would like to repeat this event which was done in 2006 successfully.
5. POS Sinhgad Climbing Club: Tentative time schedule: 5am gather at Rajaram bridge, pool cars by turn, climb Sinhagad at your own pace, have limbu sharbat at top and tea with biscuits when you come down. Back to Rajaram bridge by 8am. Anybody interested in climbing Sinhagad, please register your names with me.
6. Lecture by Dr. Ram Sathaye: Title: “Drushti Manachi Vision Infinity” based on Manache Shloka of Samarth Ramdas. This will be a lecture for all of us.
In this endeavor I would need your active participation to make my dreams come true and take our society to higher levels.